Tuesday, October 12, 2010

In Dependence

I Kings 3:

7"Now, O LORD my God, You have made Your servant king in place of my father David, yet I am but a little child; I do not know how to go out or come in.

8"Your servant is in the midst of Your people which You have chosen,
a great people who are too many to be numbered or counted.

9"So give Your servant an understanding heart to judge Your people
to discern between good and evil. For who is able to judge this great people of Yours?"

10It was pleasing in the sight of the Lord that Solomon had asked this thing.


Solomon was a little freaked out. God had just given him the huge responsibility of leading the nation of Israel. And King David was a tough act to follow.

"Help, Lord," he said, "I have no idea what I'm doing."

Big, strong Solomon felt the same way we all do when faced with a daunting task-- like a scared little kid, clomping around in Daddy's shoes.

It was, at that moment, that God had him right where He wanted him. Vulnerable. Dependent. Seeking God's face.

In America, we prize an independent, pull yourself up by your bootstraps, self-made man. God desires exactly the opposite. He wants us to realize that without Him we literally can do nothing. He wants to do great things for His glory through people who are completely dependent on Him for everything.

And, so, sometimes He leads us to places where we have no other option but to cry out to Him for His help, His strength, His wisdom.

I'm in a place like that right now. My first book will be coming out in less than a year, and I'm learning the ins and outs of the publishing world. Fast. Marketing plans, publicity, sales-- all, to one extent or another, my responsibility. Are you kidding me? I'm a homemaker with a degree in psychology. My sales experience consiststs of youth fundraisers and a brief stint as a clerk in an office supply store while I was in college. I am totally out of my element. I'm a little freaked out.

Help, Lord, I have no idea what I'm doing.

I think He's got me right where He wants me. And i
t's a great place to be.

No comments: